Mixing and matching your swimwear is a great way to get lots of fabulous new looks without spending tons of extra money. With the right combination of fabrics, colors, and patterns, two bikinis can instantly turn into four, while three bikinis can yield nine different beach-ready pairings. Just follow these mix and match tips to get more mileage out of your swimwear:
- Virtually any solid color will pair well with any other solid color, so long as you don’t select two pieces that are almost—but not quite—the same shade. Doing this will make it look like you were trying (and failing) to get an exact color match.
- You can mix solids and prints provided that the solid color is featured somewhere in the printed pattern. Be aware that in this scenario eyes will naturally be drawn to the printed piece first, so use that knowledge to emphasize your best body parts. PilyQ often offers multiple pieces in the same print, which allows you to choose the best swimsuit piece for your needs!
- Do not mix a printed top with a printed bottom of a different pattern. While this kind of look can work in some instances, it most often ends in a tacky mishmash of lines, shapes, and colors.
- In addition to prints and colors, you can mix and match cut styles too. For example, you can wear a bandeau top with hipster bottoms or a triangle top with tie-side bottoms. When mixing cut styles, be sure to choose pieces that offer the same amount of coverage (e.g. a skimpy top with a skimpy bottom or a full top with a full bottom).
- When shopping for swimwear, try to buy separates that lend themselves to the above guidelines. Brands such as L Space and Vitamin A are great about offering similar designs and patterns from year to year, thus facilitating your mix and match efforts.
If you’re not mixing and matching your bikini tops and bottoms, you’re not getting your money’s worth from your swimwear. Use these tips to start expanding your beach, resort, and poolside looks today.